Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Hours...

...were long.

So we did this 44-hour film fest thing these last few days...myself, Mieke, Tim Brom, and Dave Einfeld were on a team together. I wanted to do something serious/dramatic at first, but everyone else kinda just wanted to have fun with it and be farcical. Interestingly enough, I was the one that came up with the idea that they all loved and we ended up doing.

The requirements were that we had to use a certain line from Godfather as dialogue and we had to use a rubber ducky as a prop. So what we did is just imitated/parodied like 17 different movies and just stuck the duck in as the character from each movie.
We covered stuff like Titanic, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, Psycho, Chariots of Fire, Lord of the Rings, James Bond, and a slew of others. We had a few other ideas too that we didn't have time to get into the final cut.

So after two full days of filming and editing, we got a finished product and turned it in. I had to admit, it was pretty funny, but I assumed other teams (of the 12 other teams involved) would have something better- ours was basically just a montage. And I think part of the judging was on narrative. Not to mention we technically cheated, because Jordan said we couldn't use copyrighted music since there was prize money, but since ours were parodies, and parody falls under free use "laws," we used movie theme songs and stuff. So the judges viewed, and it came time for the premier.

I absolutely loved some of the films shown. They were totally creative and were things I would have liked to do. The whole time, I knew we'd get the most laughter and that people would remember ours the most, but none of us expected to win. Turns out we tied for second place (out of two places), even after a re-vote to try and break the tie. So the $200 got split between us and the other team, and since there were four of us, we each walked away with $25.00. Which is totally awesome, because now I'm going to buy that LEGO Star Wars XBOX game.

I do feel a bit bad about it, since I think some of the other films deserved to win, but I'll take $25. I submerged myself into a fricking 35-degree pond for this thing, plus all my muscles hurt. Did we deserve to win? I suppose. But a few other teams did too. I'm sure they put more creative effort into thiers.

"Luck" was on our side, too. We wanted a school bus, and there just happened to be an elementary school field trip to Calvin that day. I wanted a piece of fishing line, as there one was, just hanging that I normally would never have noticed. Buncha stuff like that. Anyway...good times.

Well, until next time...I'll be in my office...which is here...so I'll be here. Keep it, yo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent Jensen said...

Dude, that sounds sweet. They do a thing like that around here, but with live theatre. I would totally be somebody's camera bitch on a challenge like that in Milwaukee. Totally would.

T-minus 19 days til E3, my man.

April 29, 2005 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Brent Jensen said...

OMG Frickin HI-Larious. I love you sketching the duck, Titanic-style. Made my day. :)

May 4, 2005 at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home