Monday, March 28, 2005

Chariots of Fire...

...might burn the horses.

I'm actually kinda glad I cancelled Live for a few days. I've finally made some progress in Rainbow Six 3 and Crimson Skies. I'm tempted to say it's been good to have a break from Halo, but I did go back and pick up the last Halo novel that I never finished.

This week in American Film was focused on Hollywood during the cold war and the whole blacklist crap that went down. We watched Pawnbroker for lab, a Lumet film starring Rod Steiger as a concentration camp survivor living in New York (not on DVD?!?). It was pretty good, but surprisingly non-Hollywood in terms of story style. Main character not exactly goal-oriented, and a semi-unconclusive ending. Basically he's all unfeeling and repressed, and ends up being a tad masochistic so he can just feel something. Then in class we watched a video in class about the blacklisting, and now I don't like Cecil B. DeMille anymore. He went all commie-hunting crazy and was a total hypocrite. Of course, I think the entire trial deal was hypocritical since we had JUST come out of alliance with Russia anyway. Suddenly everyone goes witchhunting...which is not to say I don't think the fear was without cause, I just think they took it a bit far when they wrote down 60,000 peoples names and imprisoned those who put their first amendment right into action. I stick my tongue out at 1950's Hollywood.

Went to Beaners today to get permission to shoot Mieke's script there. Also did some "practice" shooting this past weekend on campus. Also had to do this reading about "Result Directing," which basically means that telling your actor to inflect a certain word is naughty. Phooey on that too. Keep it, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home