Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Creation...

...of a world.

So I was watching a bit of the DVD that came with the special edition of Halo 2, and heard one of the Bungie employees mention that the original storyline/campaign was like 10 levels long and took the fighting back to Earth at the end. This concerns me ever so slightly. When I write my movies, the first thing I do, once I have a plot, is make a timeline of everything that happens (scene 1= Syndicate meeting, scene 2= Steel home life, etc.). But they didn't decide that until (if I understood the DVD correctly) they had tons of work done on the game already. How could they just start chopping stuff up that far along? Storyline comes first! If I were writing the game, instead of going by scene, I'd obviously go by level. This is what the player accomplishes in level 1. This is what the player accomplishes in level 2. Etc. I guess what I mean is this: If Bungie has created this story, this world, this universe, I feel like they should have more control over the details of what happens when. Unless they already have the plot for Halo 3 worked out and decided to put the end of 2 in the beginning of 3. Which I suppose makes sense. Enough.

A friend of Rachel's (http://thoughtsofsweetchuck.blogspot.com/) posted a comment to my last entry with a few questions (thanks Chuck!). So, what do I enjoy the most about filmmaking, huh? Well let me answer the second question first: of all the big movie-making jobs, the one I think I love most is directing. I want to act as well, but the director oversees almost every aspect of the filmmaking process. And I want control to make the movies that I think will make people think. That will make them ask themselves what they truly believe. I love acting, but so far, my passions lie in the position of power. Now to tie this to the first question: I enjoy almost every aspect about what I do. My least favorite thing is probably editing- I think it's a patience issue, or perhaps I'm just not good enough at it to enjoy it. If I can sit next to someone and say, "Now make this happen," or "cut it a few frames earlier," then I feel a lot better about it. I enjoy the ability to delegate because I know that there are things I can't do, or at least can't do well. Here's a little anecdote to show what I mean:
Skip: "Hey Tim, what can I use to cut 6" plexiglass in a straight line?"
Maxx: "Rich...I'm a director. I don't know anything. I just tell people what to do."
True story.

I have visions. I have images and feelings and philosophies that I want people to experience. My job is to deliver these entities to my audience as best I can. While working on WS3, I have come to realize that, unless it's my only job, I can't do cinematography for crap. If I have a camera in my hand and I'm just walking around filming stuff, I can get some pretty awesome shots. But put me on set, and I have way to much to do besides sit there and look through a lens. Perhaps that will change once I have an actual crew. Anyways, the point is, I know I need people to fill in the gaps where I'm not as strong.

I edit on mostly Adobe stuff; a huge thanks goes to Matt for showing me the editing world and being so talented in it. Premier Pro, After Effects, Illustrator, etc...oh and Sound Forge for re-recording and stuff. WS2 wouldn't have been half of what it is had Matt not been there.

I think that's it for now. Until next time; who put the 'ween in Halloween? I don't know...probably you...ya freakin' wierdo. Keep it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home